Eeeewww, extra weight! Even the thought of it makes us all cringe, doesn’t it? Unfortunately, none of us are immune to gaining those extra pounds during the holiday season (except for the super lucky ones with amazingly fast metabolisms), which is why we need to be physically active and extra careful about what we eat. On that note, we’ve put together a little tutorial that will help us all focus on staying fit but still enjoy all the fresh, gorgeous holiday food!
Ready? Okay.

Drink that water like you love it
There are people whose favorite drink is water, and we applaud them. If, however, you don’t happen to be one of those people (80% of the population isn’t), make yourself love water for the sake of your flat tummy and smooth thighs. While drinking water won’t directly help you lose weight, it will improve your digestion, help the body eliminate toxins and the extra water (the more water you drink, the more your kidneys are engaged and the more you urinate), leaving your body healthy and upbeat. Plus, often, our bodies just think they are hungry; once you “feed” them a glass or two of water, the body realizes it wasn’t hungry to begin with. Water is awesome for your skin glow as well! So, drink around two liters of water daily and you’ll be fine.

Follow the 80/20 rule and don’t cheat

Spending the holidays without stuffing your face with your grandma’s pie and all that delicious food your mama plans on making wouldn’t really be the holiday season, would it? To avoid the holiday blues or, God forbid, binge-eating afterward, allow yourself to indulge about 20% of the time. However, to avoid gaining weight, keep the rest 80% of your diet on low sugar and saturated fats.

Don’t lie to yourself, okay?
Before you even embark on this journey of getting fit or maintaining your figure during the holidays, ask yourself honestly: do you care enough to do so? If the answer is a “maybe”, then don’t bother. Eat all you can, and diet later. If, however, you feel strongly about staying fit, forget all about “I’ll work out tomorrow” and commit today. Make a commitment to yourself and honor it. You are not a quitter!

Move that butt at home

If you are a gym goer, good for you. But, how big are the chances that you’ll actually get your ass out of the house to go work out when it’s cold? If the answer to that is “thin”, then organize your workout around your time at home. You don’t have to exhaust yourself; even small bursts of 5-10 minutes of exercise can do your body good. Any form of exercise counts, dusting, vacuum cleaning, scrubbing the floors, sex with your partner, etc. – anything that gets your heart pumping. Plus, with the right fitness equipment installed at home, you’ll have a rockin’ body without even leaving the house!

Don’t let the dark scare you
Yes, it will be dark by 4:30 and the sun won’t rise until after 7 AM. It is what it is. Don’t let this awful, gloomy weather sidetrack you. To stay committed to your goals, you’ll have to love the goal (and the result that’ll follow!) more than you love the immediate comfort – even if that means waking up and getting up from your warm, cozy bed at 5 AM or heading to the gym after work for that planned workout session. As a wise person once said: Be stronger than your strongest excuse! All workouts come down to a single thing – showing up. Once you train your mind to show up at every scheduled session, you’ll grow to love it. A research claims that it takes 21 days for the body and mind to get used to a habit, so – you know what to do: stay strong for three weeks and you’ll be good to go!

Written by: Peter Minkoff

About The Author

Tamara Nikolic was born in Serbia, but now lives between Belgrade and London and travels all around the Globe. Since she was a little girl she was interested in fashion and writing. In school she has won many awards for her essays. She speaks fluent Serbian, English, French and Spanish and has a University degree in Economics. Parallel to her studies she managed to work as a model for some of the biggest modeling agencies in the world like Elite and Next Model Management. Thanks to her presence in Fashion and strong media presence Tamara has decided to create a luxury webmag for modern, fashionable and business oriented people. “Lux to go” is a source of inspiration and style that includes fashion tips, latest trends, beauty tips and many more. Through “Lux to go” you’ll be able to see a glimpse into her world.